Saturday, December 22, 2018

A normal life?!!

I've been delaying this post tonight. Why, you say?? You are saying that, right??

Well, I started this blog this year after some of the worst respiratory health I've ever had. 

I've been a person with asthma for about 40 years. It's been good, bad and indifferent and then for about the last 2 years its been absolutely shite! This year more shittier than any other time in my life. I had no life, it was being controlled by the bastard thing called Asthma. I'd even double checked my will at one stage! 

I've been blue lighted in to hospital 3 times this year and the last time my gorgeous Husband (see photo 😍) didn't even phone for an ambulance he just drove like a bat out of hell........... (no speeding tickets thank the Gods!), where a wonderful hospital receptionist took one look at me said 'don't speak' (I couldn't) and got me seen straight away.  I escaped ICU this time by the skin of my teeth!

So this time, I had to think very seriously about the offer of Xolair injections. For those of you that don't know (I'll try to keep this simple) 
  • A person with allergic asthma (me) breathes in allergens like pet dander, dust,pollens etc etc (in my case a fair list) 
  • In response the body makes (wait for it) Immunoglobulin E - IgE 
  • When the allergen is breathed in again, IgE attaches itself to the allergen and the surface of inflammatory cells (hang in there) 
  • This little sod releases substances that may cause narrowing & swelling of the airways (inflammation) 
  • Its this inflammation that can cause an Asthma attack 
So, my consultant and other health professionals (yep, there's a clue for know it all me - professionals!!) for the last 2 or 3 years have been encouraging me to think about having these injections (Omalizumab is the correct name I think?!) 

These injections are designed to capture most of the IeG in your body, therefore blocking the role of the IeG that would lead to the Asthma attack. Hopefully, that's a correct interpretation.  

But nope......... not for me. I could control this wayward Asthma with diet/exercise/meditation/hypnosis.....!! No actually I couldn't! (no shit - really)! I think all of the afore mentioned helped in as much as I wasn't (quite) so fat, not (quite) so unfit, not (quite) so stressed! 

So after hospital stay number 4 some 5 months ago, I 'gave in' and said oh go on then - not much to lose, except for my life! (always prone to melodrama 😊😊). 

Therefore, I can be found once a month having injections in each limb. First 2 months I found little difference (apart from my ability to navigate the roundabout near the hospital) and then little by little, I've realised how 'normal' I've started to feel. Now 5 months on THIS has happened: 
  • NO ventolin for over 2 (yes two) months
  • NO oral steroids AT ALL 
  • I have had a cold and it STAYED JUST A COLD
Go me, go me, go me, go me!!! I should add, I'm still on my preventative inhaler though - although less of it. 

Now then?  Why was I reticent to post this. Well I have this weird fear that somehow I'll put a hex on myself (told you - drama), but more importantly this treatment isn't for everyone and I know for some people with severe Asthma this might just be a kick in the teeth - 'oh bloody good for you' - I imagine being said through nebuliser mouths........ I really appreciate from other Asthma blogs how difficult their lives can be - so I didn't want to be seen as smug. 

But I wanted to enthuse anyone who may be agonising about whether this treatment is for them. 

I also wanted to say Thank You to all the respiratory team at Derriford Hospital who hung in with me when my size 7 heels dug themselves in, and gave me the space to decide for myself. 

To thank Staff Nurse Kate who jabs me with glee (joke!) every month - we have a great medical relationship and I feel I can talk to her really honestly. To Sister Bev who rules (🤣) runs the Asthma clinic with a humour and gentleness that makes it a great place to visit so regularly, (and always greets us regulars with a smile and a little chat) and all the team in this unit who I feel have become more than just staff who look after me. 

Thank you to Sister Ali on the respiratory ward Hexworthy and all of her wonderful team - you're all bloody brilliant up on that ward, but, maybe, just maybe I won't see you for a long time (fingers well and truly crossed)! 

I will update this blog in a few months time and lets hope that the person in the top photo is still smiling and enjoying life! But in the meantime, I'm just going to carry on re-finding that thing called normality!

In the meantime dearest readers, I wish you all a peaceful, healthy and Happy Christmas. 

Liz x





No comments:

Post a Comment